Tuesday, January 31, 2006

stupid bumper stickers

On Sunday, I was sitting in traffic, and I saw what has to be the most asinine bumper sticker ever. It said, "If Mary had been pro-choice, there'd be no Christmas."

Where on earth do people get the ridiculous notion that being pro-choice means a woman would not choose to carry her pregnancy to term? My classmate Sarah Molina is unreservedly pro-choice - even has the "Keep Abortion Legal" bumper sticker on the back of her car - and has three children. When I asked her if I could use her name in this post, she said yes and added that I could include the fact that she "cried her eyes out" when she miscarried two wanted pregnancies.

I also had a miscarriage back when I was married. My husband and I had not been trying to have children at the time, but it wasn't something we opposed. It remains one of the most heartbreaking experiences of my life. I am also completely and utterly pro-choice.

People really need to get their facts straight sometimes.

Another topic Sarah and I often discuss is the message behind the bumper sticker that says "Smile, your Mom was pro-life!" Our birthdates are only about a week apart, late October and early November of 1973, meaning we were conceived right after Roe was decided. She refers to us as being among the first "choice babies," and we both find it comforting to know that our mothers chose to have us.

So if any of you reading this labor under the misconception that all pro-choice women would choose abortion should they become pregnant, think again. All it means is that the choice should be left up to the individual woman.

5 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Matt Schuh said...

LE, despite all the disagreements we may have on political issues, I have to say I agree with you on the bumper sticker issue. Being pro-choice does not necessarily mean that a woman will abort their pregnancies every time (or at all). In fairness, I really don't think many people do believe pro-choice means what that bumper sticker implies, but whatever the case I'd agree with you on the meaning of pro-choice (though I don't agree with it's legal or moral justifications).

I'd be interested to hear more about your comfort in being a "choice baby." I understand your support of the ability of woman to be able to make that choice, but I'd be curious to hear why you feel "comforted" by the fact that your mother made the choice to have you. If you had been born pre-Roe and she had not had that choice, yet raised you the exact same way as she did, I'm not sure I understand your comfort.

It seems to me (assuming a woman is going to have the child, which your mother obviously was going to in your case whether or not Roe had been decided)the issue is the amount of love and support a parent gives to their child after birth that would or would not bring a child comfort. That's just me though, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for building up a straw man argument and tearing it down. Good for you.

While we are on to the straw man argument that you don't have to actaully participate in things in which you support, I'd like to declare that I can support the war in Iraq without enlisting.

I'm glad that you and your friend take some form of "comfort" knowing that your parents chose to have you in the post-Roe era. Unfortuantely, we'll never get to know what the "non-choice" babies ever felt about their mother's decisions to stop their hearts.

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I do not believe the original post was in favor of abortion. It pointed out that some of the anti-choice bumber stickers are idiotic when they assert that pro-choice women never choose to have babies.

Second, I agree that it is unfortunate for the "non-choice" babies that they never made it. Unlike most abortion apologists, I do believe that abortion is homicide. I believe it is justifiable homicide not murder.

The basic question boils down to this:
Imagine a woman is taken to a hospital and hooked up to another person so her kidneys can provide dialysis to keep another person alive. Don't you think she should have the right to decide whether she wants to stay connected?

I do. I believe that while the second person's life is valuable, a person's control over her own body is worth more. It's personal autonomy, nothing more. I should be able to decide what to do with my own body. Period.

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, that last comment left me a little bewildered. You're comparing a woman getting pregnant and choosing to end that life with a woman hooking herself up to a dialysis machine and then choosing to remove it? First of all, the second person's life in the kidney example is not necessarily one that the woman helped to create. I stand firm that while I believe we all have a right to choose, the woman made her choice in the act of getting pregnant. And it's not like in the kidney example that the other person is unaware or incapable of pleading their case, unlike the unborn child who never asked to be conceived, never asked to be carried to any length of term, and certainly never asked to be killed. When you are knowingly ending a person's life after having done nothing to save it in the first place, that is murder. Plain and simple.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your view on pro-choice is that pro-choice women dont always have abortions, then that doesnt make sense. The point is that pro-choice MEANS you are FOR abortion! So make up your mind. And if you want a choice, how about the choice to not have sex in the first place if you dont decide to keep what might come of your choice. Take respondsibility for your actions, instead of remedying them.
God decides when our time on earth is over, we dont decide for other people. He gave us breathe and He'll take it when He sees fit. Abortion is murder, plain and simple. At any stage of pregancy, it's growing, therefore, it's LIVING. And when you terminate something living, it's called murder.
So, SMILE! Your mom chose life! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home