Friday, May 05, 2006

Reasons I am not a doctor

Y'know, besides the whole lesser ability in math and science thing.

The other night, there was a shoot out in Cincinnati that is reportedly related to a rap concert that took place there. A local rapper showed up and the performing rapper dissed him and his crew. So the theory is that the local rapper and his people hung around, waited for the performing rapper to leave, and followed him. Gun fire was exchanged on one of the area interstates.

It just so happens that my sister is in the final weeks of her residency at a hospital in Cincinnati. She was working when all this went down, and saw one of the victims in the emergency room. (Saw as in viewed, not treated. She's an ob-gyn.)

DON'T READ THIS NEXT SENTENCE IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH, JUST ATE, ETC.



She said he was shot in the head and injured so severely that his brain was coming out his nose. Given that statement, it's not particularly surprising that he didn't survive his injuries.


This reminded me of when she was in med school. Our family would meet for dinner (lunch) every Sunday, and she'd regale us with tales of the things she "got" to do that week. Had I been in her position, I would have been showing up at dinner saying "You won't believe what they made me do this week!" (They were always gross.)

So as much as I don't want to be studying for finals, at least I'm not gearing up for a career that bears much chance of coming into contact with sights like the one described above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home