Wednesday, October 04, 2006

overdue update

It's been brought to my attention that I haven't written anything here this school year.

Well, I've been busy. School, work, moving (I live with my sister now, and so far we're proving that a doctor and an almost-lawyer can co-exist in peace), and watching my romantic life take a turn that is the sort of thing the Alliance Defense Fund uses to say that being queer isn't immutable and therefore doesn't deserve constitutional protection.

I'm also job hunting - three interviews so far. It's a mixed blessing knowing with so much certainty what I want to do with my J.D. In one sense it allows me to focus my job search, but it also makes things frustrating because it pretty much necessitates moving to pursue the type of work I want to do.

My classes - such as they are - are going well. Secured transactions is a challenge because it's taught with a very strong pro-creditor approach, and I defend borrowers. (And yes, Professor Korybut, "debtors" do show up to defend themselves in court. Before the semester kicked in and required my presence in St. Louis on Wednesday afternoons, I talked to borrowers every single week at the collections/FED docket.)

Feminist legal theory is phenomenal, as I suspected it would be. Directed research is great if for no other reason that it provides me a perfect reason to spend time talking with Professor Bloom.

And Trial Ad - I'm not sure what to say about that. Some weeks it completely kicks my ass, but I think it's going to be one of the most important experiences that law school provides me.

Other than that I continue to fight the good fight at the agency where I've worked since the beginning of the summer after first year. I'm there far more than at school, with my externship hours plus paid hours.

So there you have it - it may not be exciting, but it is an update.

Oh, and as always, GO CARDS!

2 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Mark said...

This is great! it does get easier trust me! I just finished my Bar Professional Training Course and I am so happy its done but its left me in a such a good position now!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Um - I think you failed to notice the date on this entry, which was posted in 2006. I've been a licensed attorney for almost 4 years now, so take your advertisements for this bar course somewhere else, please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home